Post image for How to Add a PDF Document to a Facebook Page

How to Add a PDF Document to a Facebook Page

by Wendy Chamberlain on July 22, 2011

Already using Facebook? Follow Wendy Moore for the latest about the platform’s new features, tips and tricks as well as social media updates.

Facebook provides users a lot of opportunities to customize their business pages in order to attract as much traffic as possible.

Apart from the existing Info, Wall and Photos sections, there are many other ways you can customize your Facebook page according to your branding. One of them is by uploading PDF documents in a separate tab.

A PDF document is a great addition to any Facebook page.  You might choose to upload your regular newsletter or a flyer promoting your business or event.  You can even share any media coverage such as a magazine page where you and your business may have been featured.

Either way, posting a PDF document to Facebook makes a lot of sense.

If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to post your PDF on Facebook, check out this comprehensive guide that I’ve compiled for you here.  I’ve put together over a dozen ways for you to upload your PDF on Facebook.

post a pdf on facebook find out more How to Add a PDF Document to a Facebook Page

Adding a PDF tab is fast and easy.  All you need is to find the right application to use on your page and to install it.

Many of these applications, built by third parties, are free of charge and using them is an effective way of attracting visitors to your Facebook Fan page and showcasing what you have to offer.

How to Add a PDF Tab to Your Facebook Business Page

There a  number of third party websites that offer applications to add PDF to your Facebook page. We have found the application for adding a PDF provided by Involver to work very well.

** Note:  since publishing this post, Involver have changed the access to their Scribd application.  It is no longer free to use.  You can find an alternative here.**

First, visit the applications page of Involver at http://www.involver.com/applications/. Look for the Scribd application and click the install button.

pdf1 300x287 How to Add a PDF Document to a Facebook Page

You will then be directed to a Facebook page which will ask you if you’re sure to Add Scribd to your page. From the drop down menu that appears below, click on the specific page where you would like to install the application and confirm.

pdf2 300x102 How to Add a PDF Document to a Facebook Page

Once the Scribd tab has been installed in your Facebook page, you can immediately start uploading PDF documents. To do this, click on the orange Edit Tab Settings button on top of the page.

pdf3 300x120 How to Add a PDF Document to a Facebook Page

The next step is to click the Add a New Document button and then Save Changes. And that’s it! Your PDFs will now show on your Facebook page as an added feature.

pdf4 300x139 How to Add a PDF Document to a Facebook Page

If you need to edit, just click on the Edit Tab Settings again and click Edit Document. Once you’re done, don’t forget to click the Save Changes button to apply the changes you’ve made on the PDF.

Here’s are some examples of page we’ve created for a clients using Scribd:

Almarker

Plane Tree Farm

What’s great about a PDF document is you can create more than simple text by incorporating graphics and images in any design you want.

In addition, you can make it secure by encrypting it or use a digital signature for authentication. Keep in mind, however, that in order to display your PDF on a Facebook page for your visitors to see the content, you have to remove the encryption.

The best part? You can start using this great application for free on your Facebook business page.  So get out there and start promoting your PDFs to your fans.

Other Ways to Post a PDF to Facebook

You may also like to view my other article on posting a PDF to your Facebook page here:

If you’re ready to “cut to the chase” and grab a comprehensive guide that steps you through at least a dozen ways to post your PDF on Facebook, you can find out more information here.

Like This Post?

Consider using the social sharing buttons below to share it on your favourite social networking sites.

Wendy moore signature blue How to Add a PDF Document to a Facebook Page

By Wendy Moore
Copyright 2011 Savvy Web Women Pty Ltd

postapdf affiliate iab486x60 How to Add a PDF Document to a Facebook Page

WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE?

You can as long as you include the following (links must be active):

Wendy Moore is the founder of www.savvywebwomen.com and creator of the Savvy List Building Blog – the information packed resource that shows business owners and entrepreneurs how to get in front of an audience that wants to buy what they are selling. To receive your FREE Special Report and weekly how-to articles to expand your online List Building toolkit, visit www.wendymoore.net.

pixel How to Add a PDF Document to a Facebook Page

Nigel July 29, 2011 at 9:30 am

Wendy,
Thank you for the very quick, simple, and powerful article. A project recently came cross my table that will benefit from this greatly. I even wrote a quick “thank you” blog article. You have another follower. Great work.

Wendy Chamberlain August 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Thanks Nigel, I appreciate the share and glad that you are now a fan!

Rob Harrast November 27, 2011 at 4:49 am

Thanks Wendy,

My wife needed to post a PDF to Facebook so her friends could order autographed children’s books for Christmas. Your article was just what I needed to help her do it. Thanks for sharing.

Also, I really like the clean layout of your page. Its friendly and professional, just like your signature.

- rob

Wendy Chamberlain November 30, 2011 at 11:44 am

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your lovely comments. I’m so glad that my article was able to help out.

Enjoy!

adonis December 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm

thanks 4 your help

Wendy Chamberlain December 10, 2011 at 4:53 pm

You’re welcome Adonis. Happy to help.

Sandra Mae December 11, 2011 at 9:33 pm

This was very helpful. I have set up a website and facebook page for my 2 lost dogs Ajax and Stamp, so I am learning these things out of necessity, so to speak.
Sandra Mae
Adelaide
Australia.

Wendy Chamberlain December 11, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Hi Sandra,

Glad you found it useful. All the best with finding your dogs.

Jeannie January 13, 2012 at 6:19 am

Hi Wendy,

Great instructions. My question to you is this: The Scribd feature only shows up on the left side of my facebook page – how can I get my newly uploaded pdf file to show on my home page? I am trying to promote an event – how will folks know it is there without me having to direct them to it.

Thanks!

Wendy Chamberlain January 13, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Hi Jeannie,

Scribd is an applicaton, so applications only show on the left hand side. My understanding of Scribd is that you need to view the pdfs you load in their application, on their specific tab that you load on your page.

By home page do you mean your Wall or on a Welcome Tab? I’m assuming you don’t mean the home page of your website. If on your wall, you’d have to cut and paste the link to the PDF to your wall.

You might find this second article I wrote with more options to load PDFs to Facebook of use:

Here, I give you a few more options, including using a Static iFrame tab to create a dedicated Tab on your page. That’s probably more what you are looking for.

Don’t forget you can create an event on Facebook too. Refer to this post for how to do that:

All the best,

Tony January 21, 2012 at 1:54 am

Hi Wendy!

Thanks for this informative and concise “how to” article. I needed to post an important pdf document to our Facebook page for public display and was able to accomplish this thanks to your easy to follow instructions in a matter of minutes.

In a word this was AWESOME! Thanks so much for your help!

Wendy Chamberlain January 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

Hi Tony,

That’s fabulous. Happy to help.

shaun January 22, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Worked great but know how do I remove the pdf?

Wendy Chamberlain January 22, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Hi Shaun,

I’m assuming you’re asking how to remove a PDF that you’ve added via Scribd?

To do this, you go to the Scridb tab on your Facebook page. You then select Edit Settings.

On the instructions earlier in this post, to add a new document you select Add a New Document. On that image, you’ll see immediately below that button you can Edit a file or Delete a file. Select the file you wish to remove and then hit the Delete button.

This will remove any old PDF from your Scribd settings for you.

I hope this helped.

Renee January 23, 2012 at 8:12 am

Hi Wendy,

I have added scribd to my business page on facebook, but i would actually like to rename the ‘scribd’ on the left hand side, like the 2 facebook pages you have given as examples in your article,

How can this be done?

thanks heaps

Renee

Wendy Chamberlain January 23, 2012 at 10:47 am

Hi Renee,

What you are looking to do is rename your tab. That is done via the Edit Page button on the top right of your page.

Go to your page => Edit Tab
Find Apps in the left hand menu => Scribd for Pages
Select Edit Settings under Scribd for Pages.
Here you can change the name of your tab.
Save => Ok

Have fun!

Dervin January 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

Hello Wendy,
We recently added this application to our FB pages and the PDF uploaded fine but when we shared it on our wall it tells us there has been a failure to redirect properly? Something about cookies may be affecting it? I deleted all the cookies, but it still doesn’t work. Has anyone else had this problem, or do you know what I am overlooking?
Thanks!

Wendy Chamberlain January 23, 2012 at 11:24 am

Hi Dervin,

I’m not sure. I’ve never heard of that for the Scribd application. That doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

I know that people have had issues on their Facebook pages where applications they have added via their tabs have not displayed/worked properly because the server that is hosting the app does not have a security certificate loaded on it. In this case, those Facebook users that are using secure browsing (and Facebook did a push on this in 2011) will get an error to say that your tab/application is not safe. The way around this is to make sure that the site that is hosting the application (that displays on the tab) has added a certificate to their server.

That said, I’m not sure that this is the issue that you are having. Perhaps if you post in reply the name of your page, I can go and look at it and see if I get the same error message.

Renee January 30, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hi Wendy,

thanks so much! that’s great!!! Now i am not sure if i should contact you or scribd, but when i uploaded the first PDF, it has the availability to ‘share’ and download’ the actual PDF across the top of the item (it is like a sub-menu when you go into the scribd page, and it has it on each PDF that you upload). All the other PDFs that i have uploaded after the first one haven’t given me this feature. And i am using this as a way to share them to my wall, because they look tidy without a string of code, but i am unable to do this when the ‘shared’ or ‘download’ menus aren’t available.

My FB page is Mills Display – Hallam Victoria.

If this is not your area, please just let me know.

thanks heaps

Renee

Wendy Chamberlain January 30, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Hi Renee,

I’m not sure. I’ve had a look at some I’ve uploaded for clients and they are doing the same thing. One has share and one doesn’t. I have no idea why they’d be different. Sorry.

Renee January 31, 2012 at 10:10 am

Thats cool Wendy i will see if i can find our from Scribd directly! thanks heaps

Susan Martin February 10, 2012 at 2:53 am

Hi Wendy: I upoaded Scribd and was able to post a PDF on my Facebook page. But I was only able to post ONE…I have two to post and I can’t get the other one to stick. It lets me go thru the steps, upload a file and all looks good until I go to the page to have a look and the second one is not there. Any thoughts?

Susie

Wendy Chamberlain February 10, 2012 at 6:27 am

Hi Susie,

I’ve had that sort of thing happen to me before too. Previously, I’ve logged out and logged back into Facebook and it seemed to work. I think it’s just a glitch that sometimes happens. Other than that, I’m not sure why it happens, sorry.

Jeff Tatman February 24, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Tries to follow your instructions to download Scribd, but there is no install button. There is only a contact us buttom. Has it changed. I really need a format or app to upload pdf docs.

Thanks

Wendy Chamberlain February 27, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Hi Jeff,

I’m afraid it looks so. Seems Involver have got savvy and moved their Scribd for Facebook application down into their paid section of the website.

Here’s my other article on how to add PDFs to Facebook:

Nancy March 1, 2012 at 3:14 am

Hi Wendy
Appreciate your tips re: getting a pdf document onto my facebook page. I downloaded wildfire’s ipage app, and successfully added a tab to my FB page – but I’m unable to insert a pdf document, it will only allow me to add a jpeg or other image file. Do you know what I’m doing wrong, or how to get around this? Thanks
Nancy

Wendy Chamberlain March 2, 2012 at 3:30 am

Hi Nancy,

I’m assuming you mean the Wildfire iFrame app. Facebook does not support the file type of PDF, which is why I suspect you cannot load it onto your newly added tab on your Fan page.

Stefan March 2, 2012 at 4:32 am

Hi Wendy,
do you know to which Scribd-account the pdfs are added?
I uploaded some test pdfs, but cannot find them in my Scribd account…
Best, Stefan

Wendy Chamberlain March 2, 2012 at 10:36 am

Hi Stefan,

My understanding is that you need to be logged into the correct fan page, the one to which a) you’ve added Scribd and b) the one that you want to add the pdf to.

If you were not logged into the right fan page, the pdf will be loaded onto the wrong page. At least, that’s what has happened for me before.

I hope this helps.

Cassandra March 24, 2012 at 2:08 am

I’m trying to add a pdf file to my facebook page but under scrib it says contact us and not install, so what do I do?

Wendy Chamberlain March 24, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Hi Cassandra,

Yes, Involver have changed the access for their Scribd application so that you now need to pay a significant amount, per month for access to it.

If you need other ways to load at PDF to Facebook, take a look at a special report that I’ve compliled. You can find out the details here: http://www.pdfonfacebook.com.

All the best,

anna June 24, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I used scribd until I found that it simply doesn’t give facebook preview (on the news-feed). I found out about kagoon.com which publishes any document in 4-clicks and it works for me.

PROF C B BUTTLE August 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm

wine tasting April 17, 2013 at 6:15 am

If you want to grow your experience only keep visiting this web site and be updated with the most up-to-date news update posted here.
wine tasting recently posted..wine tasting