Post image for How to Remove an Unwanted Spam Post from your Facebook Fan Page

How to Remove an Unwanted Spam Post from your Facebook Fan Page

by Wendy Chamberlain on January 10, 2012

Already using Facebook? Follow Wendy Moore for the latest about the platform’s new features, tips and tricks as well as social media updates.

Facebook Fan pages are all the rage and a great way for business owners to tap into their ideal target market, connect with them whilst also providing an opportunity to promote their business.

A Facebook Fan page (also known as a Facebook Business Page) is YOUR forum, as a business owner, to share product updates, more detail about the services you offer and also to share great tips and strategies in your niche, that showcase you as an expert at what you do.

Ideally, you leave your settings open on your Facebook Fan Page to allow interaction with those that Like your page.  This fosters engagement with your fans, who can post questions and comments.

Unfortunately Facebook Fan pages are also a magnet for spammers.  If a person has liked your page, it means that they can also post spam content on your wall.

As a business owner, your page is an extension of your brand.  When spammers post rubbish on your wall, you need to act quickly to remove it and ban the person who posted it from being able to post again.  No one wants to visit a page and see that spammers have attacked the wall and the owner of the page has done nothing to remove it.

Here’s What to Do

First, choose the post you wish to delete.

remove page spammer 1 300x163 How to Remove an Unwanted Spam Post from your Facebook Fan Page

Hover your mouse over the right of the post and a grey X will appear.  Click on the X.  A box with four options will appear:

• remove post
  • remove post and ban user
  • hide post
  • report as abuse

remove page spammer 2 300x158 How to Remove an Unwanted Spam Post from your Facebook Fan Page

If you click Remove Post, Facebook will ask you to confirm your action. A Delete Post box will show again asking if you are sure you wish to delete the post. If you’re ready to delete, just click on the Remove Post button.

If you click Remove Post and Ban User, a confirmation box will also appear.

remove page spammer 3 300x166 How to Remove an Unwanted Spam Post from your Facebook Fan Page

After you’ve confirmed the delete action, the offending post will automatically have been removed from your wall.

remove page spammer 4 300x153 How to Remove an Unwanted Spam Post from your Facebook Fan Page

You may also want to hide the message by clicking Hide Post. Doing this will immediately remove the post without any confirmation notice and will mark it as spam.

Helping Facebook to Report Abuse

If you choose, there is another option available is to report the person who posted the unwanted message on your Facebook page’s wall. If you click the Report as Abuse option, a box will open giving you five choices on how you describe the message.

The options are:

• Spam or scam
  • Contains hate speech or attacks on individual
  • Violence or harmful behavior
  • Sexually explicit content
  • Permanently ban this person from this Facebook page and remove all content they have posted.

After choosing one, simply click the Submit button and the message will automatically be submitted to the Facebook administrators.

Why You Need to Police Your Page

It is important to stay diligent and keep your Facebook Fan page wall clean.

Nothing looks worse than visiting a Facebook Business Page and seeing that the spammers are running amok in there, randomly posting, and the owner of the page is not even aware or has taken no action to remove the spam material or to block the spammers.

It looks unprofessional and shows that the owner of the page is probably not visiting or posting regularly themselves.  As a visitor, would you hang around on such a page?  Most likely not.

If you have gone to the effort and investment of setting up a Facebook Fan page, keep the “Liker” experience positive and be diligent to remove unwanted spam posts.

Like this post?

Consider sharing it on your other social networks via one of the social sharing links below.

Note: this post was originally published in May 2011.

By Wendy Moore
Copyright 2012 Savvy Web Women Pty Ltd

postapdf affiliate iab486x60 How to Remove an Unwanted Spam Post from your Facebook Fan Page

WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE?

You can as long as you include the following (links must be active):

Wendy Moore is the founder of www.savvywebwomen.com and creator of the Savvy List Building Blog – the information packed resource that shows business owners and entrepreneurs how to get in front of an audience that wants to buy what they are selling. To receive your FREE Special Report and weekly how-to articles to expand your online List Building toolkit, visit www.wendymoore.net.

pixel How to Remove an Unwanted Spam Post from your Facebook Fan Page

Lu July 31, 2012 at 10:59 pm

re: Wendy Moore November 5, 2011 at 10:18 am
Hi Cynthia,
…Apparently there used to be an unfortunate ‘loophole’ in the settings, so to speak… that any person you have blocked from your personal profile could still come write on your fan page and you wouldn’t see what they write, but others could. The only solution is to unblock them from your personal profile, then remove and ban them from your fan page, ….
___
From Laura:
Regarding the solution to unblock from my own profile, then remove and ban from the page…. I tried that, but I still cannot see the person. I am guessing they blocked me also. My page says a new person “likes” my page, but I cannot see who it is. I am wondering if somehow this once-blocked-and-banned person has gotten back on, but that I just cannot see them because I banned this person (and they must have banned me, because I unblocked them from my personal profile and still cannot see them). I do not know how I can administer a page with someone I cannot see. Any help, please? Thanks!

From Lu:
I have been having the same problem for a month now. It’s a mutual personal block and them being blocked from fan page. Somehow they keep re-”liking” the fan page. It’s “liked” and I cannot see who it is. So I appoint another admin and they actually ban (again) that person, they are even in the “banned” list. But somehow, they are still “liking’ this page. How can you banned them completely and forever?? any changes or insights since May? Please help!!

james hay October 7, 2012 at 2:44 am

not all negative comments are spam. I left comments about a car dealer that i felt potential customers should know. their lack of honoring warranty claims and an attack by the general mgr. attacking my religion because i was upset about not fixing my car. you are doing the buying public a disservice allowing bad businesses to just BAN the words they dont like.

Wendy Chamberlain October 7, 2012 at 9:46 am

Hi James,

Agreed, not all negative comments are spam, but the majority are. It’s up to the individual page owner to decide what should and should not appear on their page. I’m merely showing people the process. The decision is theirs.

Dennis March 9, 2013 at 7:15 am

I have an issue that I’m unable to find a fix for. I have a post on my newsfeed that I want to remove, but there isn’t an “X” in the top right corner. Also, I’m tired of the “games that people play” also showing up on my news feed. There also isn’t an “X” to get rid of them. You aren’t able to “hover” over anything on those things to get a selection to get rid of them. I’m just about ready to delete my facebook account because of this. I have read several posts that say to do this or that, but they all involve in clicking the X or hovering and selecting remove, but on my page some of the items are like that, but some aren’t and I can’t get rid of them.

Wendy Chamberlain March 9, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Hi Dennis,

Not sure why you don’t get the X option on hover, but it may be because you are trying to do it from the newfeed, rather than from further inside Facebook on various internal pages, like a profile. You can try the following…

For posts in your newsfeed that you no longer wish to see, you can change the settings for that person to say yes or no as to whether you see their posts.

Do do this, go to the profile page of the person and hover your mouse over the FRIENDS button. It will automatically show you more options, one of which is “show in from newsfeed”. If you select settings, you will see even more options. It is here that you can control what posts from that person you see, if any, and how frequently.

Again with all the game stuff showing in your newsfeed, from the Home area of Facebook, in the top right hand corner below where the birthdays of friends show, will be an option called “app requests” (for example, mine says 20+ app requests). Click this link.

Facebook will then load all the games and app requests that people have sent you. Choose one and there should be an X here against all these. When you select X, it will hide all the requests relating to that game. It will also ask you if you wish to block the game (so you’ll not see these requests again) and also if you wish to ignore all requests from the person that originally sent it to you.

I hope this helps.