Post image for Facebook Fan Page Timeline: How to custom edit a tab name

Facebook Fan Page Timeline: How to custom edit a tab name

by Wendy Chamberlain on March 12, 2012

Already using Facebook? Follow Wendy Moore for the latest about the platform’s new features, tips and tricks as well as social media updates.

Whilst Default landing tabs are a thing of the past with the new Facebook fan page Timeline (see my post here on all the changes and how they affect you), you can still do some cool things with your fan page tabs.

I recently shared with you how you can customise the image that is displayed for each of your tabs.  It’s a great way to create “mini” calls to action, for any fan landing on your page and looking for what to do next.  You can read about how to change the images on your fan page tab here.

Did you know you can do the same thing and change the name of your tab?

Changing the name of the your Face book fan page tabs is just one further way to attract the interest of your visitors.

How to Customise a Fan Page Tab Name

You can’t change the default tab name (for tabs such as Likes & Photos), but you can edit the names of those that you’ve created.

To edit, hover over the drop down triangle located on the far right of all your tabs and click it with your mouse:

fan-page-custom-tab-image

Click to enlarge image

Choose the tab you wish to change the name for.  To the right of that tab image, click on the pencil icon:

fan-page-custom-tab-image

Click to enlarge image

Click on edit settings:

fan-page-custom-tab-image

Click to enlarge image

In the next window that loads, you then find the heading Custom Tab Name.

how-to-edit-a-fan-page-tab-name

Click to Enlarge Image

To the right of Custom Tab name is a field to enter text.  Type in the name you’d like to use for the tab.  The name should fit within the box.

how-to-edit-a-fan-page-tab-name

Click to Enlarge Image

Then click on Save.  Then click on OK.

The name of your tab should have updated:

how-to-edit-a-fan-page-tab-name

Click to Enlarge Image

Viola! That’s how you can update your tab name for each of the tabs on your fan page.

Thoughts on the new look fan page Timeline?

What do you think? Do you like the new layout? Leave a comment below.

Enjoyed this post?

Use the social sharing button below to share this post on your favourite social networking sites.

By Wendy Moore
Copyright 2012 Savvy Web Women Pty Ltd

WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE?

You can as long as you include the following (links must be active):

Wendy Moore is the founder of www.savvywebwomen.com and creator of the Savvy Online Engagement Blog – the information packed resource that shows business owners and entrepreneurs how to use online strategies to connect with key stakeholders, influence decision makers and be seen as a thought leader, all via the use of social media. To receive your FREE Special Report and weekly how-to articles to expand your online List Building toolkit, visit www.wendymoore.net.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

shirley March 12, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hi Wendy, I love the way your posts are clear to read with visuals to help others understand how to do something. It really is the greatest asset to be able to communicate to people through your blogs. Thank you. Awesome! Warmest Regards Shirley

Wendy Chamberlain March 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks so much Shirley,

I think it is important, particularly with social media, to provide step by step instructions so that you can understand exactly what to do. It’s just too easy to get lost!

Kim Mullette March 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Thanks so much Wendy, this is exactly what I needed!! x

Wendy Chamberlain March 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Fantastic Kim. Happy to help. 🙂

Nicola Moras March 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Hey Wendy,
Awesome post, thank you!!! Incredibly clear instructions…in fact…I’ve just implemented some of what I’ve read in here – easy peasy!! 😉
Nicola

Wendy Chamberlain March 13, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Thanks so much Nicola!

Really appreciate the feedback. I try to make it as clear as possible as there are so many steps to remember. 😉

Sandy Moore March 14, 2012 at 6:40 am

Hi Wendy, informative post.

Looking forward to implementing these steps.

Sandy Moore

Wendy Chamberlain March 14, 2012 at 8:31 am

Thanks Sandy. Happy to help.

Jeanetmarie March 20, 2012 at 4:56 am

Thanks Wendy. I search all day for this information. Your instructions are short and sweet. All the best to you!

Wendy Chamberlain March 20, 2012 at 9:51 am

Hi Jeanetmarie,

Glad you found it useful. Happy to help.

Stephanie @Trying To Be Super Mom March 31, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Hi Wendy, thanks for the great information! I had a question about customizing the tabs. When I go into my Admin settings and do the drop down on the individual tabs, none of the options shown in your screen caps are listed for me. Is it because of the type of website I have my fanpage listed as? Please feel free to take a look and let me know if you have time. Thanks! It’s at facebook.com/tryingtobesupermom.

Wendy Chamberlain April 1, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Hi Stephanie,

No, it’s not because of the type of fan page you have listed. It’s because the tabs you are have are only the default Facebook tabs and these are not able to be changed.

Tabs such as photos, Likes, Events, etc are not able to be changed.

I hope this helps.

Shelley April 19, 2012 at 10:26 am

Wendy,

I tried doing this and it works on my personal timeline but not my fanpage.

Any suggestions?

Shelley

Wendy Chamberlain April 21, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Hi Shelley,

What tab were you trying to rename? If it’s one of the Facebook default tabs (such as Photos, Videos, Likes, Events, Maps), you can’t rename those.