Post image for Facebook Timeline for Fan Pages: Read on for the changes that affect you

Facebook Timeline for Fan Pages: Read on for the changes that affect you

by Wendy Chamberlain on March 1, 2012

Already using Facebook? Follow Wendy Moore for the latest about the platform’s new features, tips and tricks as well as social media updates.

Seems the rumours were true.  Facebook released Timeline for Fan pages overnight.

You can go right now, take the tour and flip to the new look or wait until 31st March 2012 and Facebook will flip it over for you.

I’d suggest you take action now and get yourself familiar with what has changed well before your fan page gets the Timeline format automatically applied by Facebook.

In summary, here’s what’s changed:

• default landing tabs have been removed
  • you can now message fan pages
  • tabs remain but are wider at 760px
  • you can add a cover image, but follow the guidelines (see below) so you don’t get slapped (or worse, lose your page)
  • a new look admin panel

Change to Tabs

Default landing tabs are gone.  Tabs are now located under the Cover Image and 760px wide.

Likers Only Tabs (also known as reveal or fan gate) still appear to work.

How to Customise a Tab Image or Tab Name

You can’t change default tab images (such as Likes), but you can edit the ones that you’ve created.

To edit => hover over the thumbnail => click on the pencil icon then => click on edit settings

Changes-to-the-facebook-fan-page-timeline

Click to Enlarge Image

You can then change the Custom Tab Name and also load up a Custom Tab Image

The Cover Photo Image

Facebook suggests you use a unique image that represents your Page.

Size wise, your cover photo can be 315px by 850px

Changes-to-the-facebook-fan-page-timeline

Click to Enlarge Image

Important!  Your cover image MUST NOT contain:

• Price or purchase information, such as “40% off” or “Download it at our website”
  • Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page’s About section
  • References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features
  • Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends”

As with your personal Timeline, all cover images are public so anyone visiting your Facebook fan page will be able to see it.

Finally, you may not encourage or incentivize people to upload your cover image to their personal timelines (some big brands tried this with when the personal Timeline rolled out and it was not well received by Facebook).

Your Page profile picture

Like on the your personal Timeline, there’s a place for a profile picture.

Sizing here is a square at least 180 pixels wide.

Changes-to-the-facebook-fan-page-timeline

Click to Enlarge Image

Photo’s, Likes and Apps are at the Top of the Fan Page

Just like the personal Tmeline, photos, likes and apps appear at the top of your page, below the cover image.

Photos show in the first spot and can’t be moved.  However, you can change the order of all the other boxes according to what you’d like your page to represent.

In total, you can show a maximum number of 12 apps, so decide on the best ones for your page and make sure those are positioned first.

Changes-to-the-facebook-fan-page-timeline

Click to Enlarge Image

Feature your Favourite Posts and Pin them to the Top

Just like on your personal Timeline, you can hover over a story and click on the star ( star icon ) to make it wider.  See my earlier post on how to Feature a Post here.

You can also click on the pencil ( pencil icon ) to pin it to the top of your Page, hide or delete it entirely.

Updated Administrator Panel

Like your personal Timeline, you can also keep track of your activity on your Page from the admin panel. Respond when people write on your Page timeline, and view your latest insights.

For those of you that are already using the Timeline on your personal Facebook account, you’ll be familiar with the activity log as a place to review all your posts and activity.

Changes-to-the-facebook-fan-page-timeline

Click to Enlarge Image

Keep track of your activity on your Page from the admin panel. Respond when people write on your Page timeline, and view your latest insights.

Visit your activity log to review all your posts and activity.

Messages on the Fan Page

Now people can contact you privately using messages. Notifications about new messages will appear right in your admin panel.

Thoughts

What do you think of the new look Facebook Fan page with Timeline?  Love it or loath it.  Leave a comment below.

Enjoyed this post?

Use the social sharing button below to share this post on your favourite social networking sites.

By Wendy Moore
Copyright 2012 Savvy Web Women Pty Ltd

WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE?

You can as long as you include the following (links must be active):

Wendy Moore is the founder of www.savvywebwomen.com and creator of the Savvy Online Engagement Blog – the information packed resource that shows business owners and entrepreneurs how to use online strategies to connect with key stakeholders, influence decision makers and be seen as a thought leader, all via the use of social media. To receive your FREE Special Report and weekly how-to articles to expand your online List Building toolkit, visit www.wendymoore.net.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chris S. March 1, 2012 at 4:27 am

I resisted the timeline on my personal page, until I tried it. Now I kinda like it. But as someone who is also responsible for the Facebook page of a very large company, and who already had plans in the works for creating a nifty Fan page design, only to now have to back out of it completely and spend more money with my agency trying to decipher exactly what my options are now, I don’t like it one bit. The great thing about the old design was its flexibility in separating posts from tabs. It let you create a landing page of sorts that users saw first before they went in to view wall posts or photos or what-have-you.

That appears to be gone now, unless I’m just not understanding the new setup.

Wendy Chamberlain March 1, 2012 at 4:40 am

Hi Chris,

Yes, it’s certainly caused a lot of rework for companies, pages and the people that maintain and build them, that’s for sure.

You can now use the images on the tabs (that sit below the cover image) as mini calls to action. That’s what I see people doing with that space. I’ve shared in this post how to edit the images on your tabs.

Vicki Sauvage March 1, 2012 at 7:52 am

Hi Wendy,
I have been using time line on personal page for a while and I kind of like it and kind of don’t.
It is VERY busy and stuff all over the place – scanning for relevant information it tricky.
I am going to switch my business page over today following your article and will keep you informed.
It is interesting how fb keep rolling stuff out without any consultation with users. I guess they are secondary players in their game.

Wendy Chamberlain March 1, 2012 at 8:00 am

Hi Vicki,

Great – I’m glad that my article helped. Let me know how you go. There’s lots of changes flying around right now and so much to keep up with. :o)

At the end of the day, it’s their platform and they can do what they want I guess.

Luanne March 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

Thanks Wendy

I saw it was changing so just changed it over but now I can’t load up my cover photo – oh well rolling with the changes 🙂

Your info is awesome
🙂 xx Lu

Wendy Chamberlain March 1, 2012 at 11:47 am

Hi Lu,

Really? Did you get an error? Most odd. But hey, could be a Facebook feature!

Kim Mullette March 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Hi Wendy, very informative post. I like the fact that you can receive personal messages on your page. New changes are always hard but I think there will also be benefits. Thanks for the info.

Wendy Chamberlain March 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Thanks Kim,

Lots of changes for people to get their heads around. It will be interesting to watch and see everything unfold.

rajeev March 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Really , love it.. i m maintaining my 4 brand pages..now it’s easy and active..look and features

Wendy Chamberlain March 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Great Rajeev,

I think it definitely has some great benefits.

Iqra' March 6, 2012 at 4:25 pm

hi there wendy.

Can I ask, how to convert back fanpage from timeline to the old viewing?

Wendy Chamberlain March 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Hi Iqra,

If you are viewing your new fan page Timeline and you HAVE NOT published it yet, you can click the link at the top of the page to restore the old version:

“3. Until you publish your Page, you can see your old design any time”

If you have already published the new version of the fan page Timeline, unfortunately there is no way to go back.

Likewise, after 30th March, all pages will be in the new format by default.

Kimberly March 7, 2012 at 1:11 am

My business page isn’t letting me change to Timeline..I don’t even see an option to do so. Any ideas why?

Wendy Chamberlain March 7, 2012 at 8:48 am

Hi Kimberly,

Try this link: http://www.facebook.com/about/pages

It’s Facebook page all about the new fan page Timeline and should let you switch over there.

Zainal March 8, 2012 at 1:46 am

hi Wendy, i changed my old page’s name. but, when i searched the new name, it won’t come out. why?

Penny March 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Facebook removed the “info” button. Is there a way to see what another page likes in the new Timeline?

Wendy Chamberlain March 12, 2012 at 10:47 am

Hi Penny,

The Likes for another fan page are now located on the right hand side, below recent posts. If you scroll down, you should see a box on the timeline on the right hand side with the Likes for that page.

Lisa Wood March 12, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I am not that into the new time line but I am trying to get my head around it 🙂
I never like new changes but after a while its something that becomes second nature – I guess once I get the hang of it I will be ok!
Thanks for sharing how the new facebook timeline fan pages can affect us all.
Cheers
Lisa

Wendy Chamberlain March 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Hi Lisa,

There are certainly a lot of changes going on right now. I think it does take a bit of getting used to, but I do like the new layout.

Glad you enjoyed my post. 🙂

Pavan June 23, 2012 at 1:44 am

Hi Wendy,

Is there an app which can show a facebook album as a tab? I’ve searched all over the web for it. Please help 🙂

Cheers
Pavan

Larissa October 7, 2012 at 7:30 am

it wont let me add a admin on fb!?

Wendy Chamberlain October 7, 2012 at 9:47 am

Hi Larissa,

In order for an admin to be added to a page, that person first has to LIKE the page. Once they’ve liked it, you should have the option to add them as an admin.