Post image for How to Merge Your Facebook Fan Pages

How to Merge Your Facebook Fan Pages

by Wendy Chamberlain on July 13, 2012

Already using Facebook? Follow Wendy Chamberlain for the latest about the platform’s new features, tips and tricks as well as social media updates.

With all the constant changes on Facebook, one thing people would love to know is how to combine your Facebook fan pages into the one page.

Over time, many Facebook users end up with one or more fan pages.

You may have created a page when you first got started using Facebook then decided to go in a different direction.

So what do you do with all those fans on a fan page that you no longer use or is not your primary focus online?

Now you can merge your various fan pages on Facebook into the one place

There are several benefits to merging your Facebook pages.

Firstly, it allows you to manage your Facebook fans and activity in one location.

Secondly, you have the ability to promote deals to attract more people to your business and finally, you have an opportunity to attract people who are fond of using location-based services and often check-in on Facebook via their smartphones or tablets.

You do, however, need to meet some fairly stringint Facebook “page merging” criteria.  Unfortunately, this is where the frustration level can start to rise…

How to Merge Your Facebook Fan pages

There are two options available if you want to merge Facebook pages.

Option 1

The first one is the easiest and can be done if you created the pages or if you’re a page admin.

For pages that have the same name with one being a place page, merging can be achieved automatically in just once click.

First, log into your Facebook account and go to the page you wish to MERGE OTHER PAGES IN TO. So, the page you wish to keep.

Then click Edit page on the top.

From the dropdown menu that appears, click Manage Permissions.

On the next page, choose Resources on the left column.

When you click Resources, several options will be shown with Develop your page as the first on top.

Here, look for Merge duplicate pages, that’s the link to click to be able to merge your pages in one go.

how to merge your facebook fan page 300x132 How to Merge Your Facebook Fan Pages

Click to Enlarge Image

Click Merge duplicate pages and a pop up will give you the option of pages that can be merged together.  Tick the box next to the pages you wish to merge into your primary fan page.

Make sure you are merging INTO the fan page you wish to keep, or into your primary fan page.

Select Merge Pages.

All your fans and any check-ins from your other fan pages, that you are merging in, will be moved across to your primary fan page, the page that you wish to keep.

Note that all the other content from those pages, such as wall posts and photos, will not be copied over and will deleted by Facebook and be lost.

This may not work for you…

I have tried this option, followed the steps to make sure the pages I want to merge in are named exactly the same as the one that I wish to keep and sometimes the words Merge duplicate pages appears and sometimes it does not (mostly not…).

Even with the pages all having the exact same category (such as Local Business & Places => Restaurant/Cafe), I still do not get the Merge duplicate pages option to appear.

I have spent hours trying to get this to work (when it quite clearly should have), tinkering with small changes, but sometimes, you just have to accept Facebook has a number of “features” and this is one of them.

If you have done all the steps and are still not presented with the menu option to Merge, you may have to look at Option 2…

Option 2

If Option 1 is not available to you, time to switch to plan B!

Facebook appears to have simplied this process. Please read my latest blog post here for the current link and process to follow.

Below is the old process, for completeness.

For the second option, first get all the urls of your Facebook fan pages that you want to merge together. Make sure you copy the correct urls.

Then paste them into a new document or notepad so you have copies (this step helps to keep things straight in your head – you do not want to be merging your primary page into pages you wish to get rid of).

Remember also, you need to make sure that you copy any details that are on the pages you are going to merge into your primary page (posts, photos, videos, testimonials and everything from the page), as once the merge takes place, you will no longer have access to this information – Facebook will delete it.

When a fan page merge happens, you only keep your fans and check-ins.  Everything else on your old pages will be gone.

When merging fan pages, your fans will combine into the one page, but it does not necessarily mean that if you have 400 fans on each page, you will get a total of 800 fans when your pages are merged.  Some people on one page may also be fans of your other page.

The Facebook URL you need to start the merge process

The most important step to do here after you’ve copied everything from the page you’re going to give up is to send a request to Facebook.

You can go to this link to do that: http://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=160167234097982.

While on this page, you need to confirm two things.

First is that you are the administrator of the page.

Merge Facebook pages 300x145 How to Merge Your Facebook Fan Pages

Click Image to Enlarge

Once you’ve confirmed that, next, you are not reporting a page, you are requesting a merge.

Click the option that says “No, I just want to merge request the inauthentic pages with my page.”

Upon clicking, it will open up a form that you need to fill out.

Merge Facebook pages1 300x277 How to Merge Your Facebook Fan Pages

Click Image to Enlarge

Provide the necessary names of pages that you admin and their urls as well as the inauthentic pages that you would like to merge with your main page.

Note: here is where you need to make sure you get your fan page URLs right (remember, earlier I suggested you copy them to a notepad.  This is why).

When you’ve added the Page URLs for pages you wish to merge into your primary page, click the Send button.

Your request can take several hours up to two days to complete.

One final hurdle you may encounter here

One issue I ran into here was that Facebook gave me an error message to say that I was not the authentic owner of one of the pages I wished to merge.

By this point, your frustration level (as mine was) could be very, very high.

How to Claim Your Fan Page

What you need to do is claim your page.  As you’d expect, there’s a menu item for that.  However, you won’t always see it…

You’ll find how to do it here.

Good luck!  Let me know how you go.

Leave your comments, frustrations and triumphs in the comments below.

Enjoyed this post?

Consider using the social sharing button below to share this post on your favourite social networking sites.

signature blue transparent How to Merge Your Facebook Fan Pages

By Wendy Chamberlain
Copyright 2012 Savvy Web Women Pty Ltd

WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE?

You can as long as you include the following (links must be active):

Wendy Chamberlain is the founder of www.savvywebwomen.com and creator of the Savvy Online Engagement Blog – the information packed resource that shows business owners and entrepreneurs how to use online strategies to connect with key stakeholders, influence decision makers and be seen as a thought leader, all via the use of social media. To receive your FREE Special Report and how-to articles to expand your Online Engagement toolkit, visit www.wendymoore.net.

pixel How to Merge Your Facebook Fan Pages

Troy kiss July 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Hey Wendy I have done option 2, everything as you mentioned, I have 3 authentic fan pages, different names, but all same addresses claimed all pages, put in al right URLS and which one I want to keep as my “KEEPER PAGE” and it all went through smooth, it’s been three weeks now, and havent heard back anything? but they did send a survey about my feedback, I am so frustrated as I did everything right and I have a new page with 500, and two older ones with over a 1000 and 2000 is there anyway to resolve this with facebook? thanks

Wendy Moore July 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Hi Troy,

They won’t necessarily tell you per se. Sometimes you just log back in to view the page and it’s not there anymore. I do think that I remember receiving an email about it however.

If you go to Facebook and search for one of the pages that you merged into the primary page, it should not find it or give you a message that says the page has been claimed by an authentic owner (or words to that effect).

If they sent you a survey, do you have an email address that you can now send a question to? I’d persue it that way. Otherwise, you could try doing the process again (a pain, I know) and see if you get a message to say the pages have been merged. From memory, I don’t think it took them three weeks to merge the pages for me.

Kim Mullette July 14, 2012 at 5:11 am

Hey Wendy, this is a great post. I have a few fan pages that I no longer use and quite a few fans there that are no longer hearing from me. This is a great tool and will be using it today!!
Thanks so much!!

Wendy Moore July 14, 2012 at 10:58 am

Hi Kim,

You’re welcome. It can be a bit of a tedious process to get them merged, so I hope this helps.

Akshay July 17, 2012 at 2:20 am

Hey wendy how can i get email id of facebook staff??

Wendy Moore July 17, 2012 at 11:27 am

Hi Akshay,

That’s the tricky part. If you read my blog post on claiming your page here (http://www.wendymoore.net/2012/07/how-to-claim-your-facebook-fan-page/) I explain what I had to do to get a Facebook staffer email address.

I hope this helps.

Jen August 31, 2012 at 9:55 am

Hi

Great blog!

I have a like my page link on my site (with over 3k likes)… do you know if there is any way to combine this with my actual fb page?

Blessings

Wendy Chamberlain August 31, 2012 at 10:45 am

Hi Jen,

I don’t believe that you can. The like button on a website refers to that website. It’s different to liking an actual Facebook fan page. I don’t see how you would be able to combine them, as people have liked your website, not your Facebook page and I don’t think Facebook would allow you to combine them. They’d most likely argue that the two are totally different.

Grace September 4, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Hi Wendy,
I came across your comment on TheSocialAnimals’ blog regarding your successful attempt to merge 4 FB pages (ref: http://www.thesocialanimal.com/social-media/how-to-combine-or-merge-two-facebook-pages-updated-2012/comment-page-2#comment-15683)

Would it be possible for you to email be the contact detail of the FB staffer that you got in touch with to rename your pages? I’ve a client who needs to merge 3 fb pages, all with different names and they all exceed the 200 fans limit whereby page name change is still possible.

Looking forward to your help on this. Thanks!
Grace recently posted..Bonjour Paris!

Wendy Chamberlain September 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Hi Grace,

If you follow the steps above and attempt to rename a page, you’ll most likely get a reply from a Facebook staffer yourself, that you can then utilise to start the dialogue with them.

It’s probably best that you pursue that avenue, as the staffer I dealt with may no longer be there/in that department.

Hassan September 6, 2012 at 9:49 pm

hi Wendy , Thanks for your such helping article,

For this merging you must have 1 authentic page .All i am having problem with authentication process ? As i am not having claim option on my any page so then how i can claim a page or authenticate a page ?please help Briefly

Waiting for a positive response

Thanks
Hassan.R

grace September 10, 2012 at 12:56 am

Thanks for your reply Wendy.

I’ll give it a try then :)

Lola September 11, 2012 at 1:50 am

Hi Wendy,

To me it looks like the link to where I have to request the page merge of option 2 does not work anymore. Do you happen to know if FB unabled the feature since you posted or why the form seems to have disappeared…

Thank you!

Lola

Wendy Chamberlain September 11, 2012 at 10:05 am

Hi Lola,

Yes, that link does not appear to work anymore. Try this one:

I’ve updated the blog post and outlined the new process here:

Thanks for letting me know.

Tienie November 2, 2012 at 11:49 pm

how to combine my 2 profiles on FB. The latest one doesnt show my friend request, message or poke next to my photo on my timeline. The previous (old) profile show it, but I want to delete all that old info on my wall, photos, likes etc. Thank you for helping me. Tienie Labuschagne

Wendy Chamberlain November 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi Tienie,

To my knowledge, you can’t combine two facebook profiles into one. You can only do this for Fan pages, not personal profiles.

The only thing you can do is download all the data from the one that you wish to close, then close that account.

Camila November 8, 2012 at 1:21 am

I requested to merge two Facebook pages for the organization I work for, now they’re both GONE. Is this temporary? I submited the request monday night, got an email from FB saying the Merge was done sucessfully yestaerday afternoon, but still can’t locate my page. Has anybody else had this problem before? What should I do?
Thanks!

Wendy Chamberlain November 8, 2012 at 8:29 am

Hi Camila,

I’d reply to the email and tell them about the issue. They’re usually pretty good in getting back to you, because that staffer is the one that would have actioned the request.

Sheridan November 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Absolutely amazing, perfect, wonderful, brilliant, excellent.

I had been asking everyone, everywhere, this question and surprisingly no one could offer me an answer. I followed the link you supplied above and submit a request to merge 2 business pages via my personal page log in and…bam.

I have been able to successfully merge a page with more likes into a page with less likes AND keep all of the data/posts on the page I was merging into.

Amazing, wonderful, brilliant, thank you.

Wendy Chamberlain November 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Hi Sheridan,

I am so happy to hear that. So many people have been having trouble with the link (not me), so it’s great to hear that someone else had success.

Congrats and well done!

gurpreet December 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm

the link u gave for merging pages ..
i doesn’t open :(

Roy January 19, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Hello Wendy,

A wonderful article! I currently the sole admin on 2 Facebook pages with an identical name. I go through all the steps you list above for merging pages; however, after I click the last “Merge Page” it says “Loading…” then the box disappears, it doesn’t give me an error or a success. I’ve tried this like 15 times. I’m happy that everything up to that step is fine but I’m frustrated because it does not tell me why it’s not working. Have you ever heard of such an issue?

P.S. I’ve tried to merge them using the other method(in which you can merge up to 5 pages at once) but have not heard back from Facebook yet.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Roy

Wendy Chamberlain January 23, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Hi Roy,

Yes, Facebook can be frustrating. When you go through the merge page and the process, when you have entered the pages to be merged, etc, upon hitting submit, a window will flash up that acknowledges that you’re trying to merge fan pages. If you are not seeing this window pop up, then it’s probably not completing the process correctly for you.

Regarding the 5 pages at once method, it can take up to 8 days for Facebook to advise you that the process has been completed. Often, you just log in one day and your pages are merged.

If you wish us to help you with this, please email support @ savvywebwomen.com (remove spaces) with Merge Fan Pages in the subject line and we can look at sorting this out for you.

Harry February 16, 2013 at 7:39 pm

hay my name is wendy introduce herry from Indonesia. I was intending to ask now why the link to join the page is not available. https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=238908726149664. thanks

Wendy Chamberlain February 16, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Hi Harry,

For some reason that link works for some (it does for me) and not others. Looks like you fall into the latter category. You’ll need to contact Facebook directly.

KH March 5, 2013 at 5:38 am

Option 1 and Option 2 do not work. I’ve tried both. Option 2 link in your blog is no longer valid.

Wendy Chamberlain March 5, 2013 at 8:30 am

Hi KH,

Yes, that link does not appear to work anymore. This blog post is nearly 8 months old. Facebook changed the process.

Try this link: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=238908726149664

I’ve updated the blog post and outlined the new process here:

Wendy Chamberlain March 25, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Hi Gary,

You should have received an email from Facebook about the merge. I’d reply to that email and start the conversation with the staffer about getting it resolved.

It can take 7-8 days for a page merge, but it sounds like you’re at that mark. I’d suggest you contact Facebook directly now to resolved the issue.

Aravind June 14, 2013 at 11:55 am

hloo
The Above link was broken – https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=238908726149664 ;; wt to do ???
We startted a page from febrvry 2013,,,how it merge with other pages ???

Wendy Chamberlain June 14, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Hi Aravind,

The above link IS NOT broken. I just tried it (14th June 2013) and it works for me. As stated previously here in the comments, it does not work for everyone. I do not know why.

You will need to contact Facebook directly. There is a link to contact them in earlier comments.