Post image for How to Request to Merge Your Duplicate Facebook Fan Pages

How to Request to Merge Your Duplicate Facebook Fan Pages

by Wendy Chamberlain on September 11, 2012

Already using Facebook? Follow Wendy Chamberlain for the latest about the platform’s new features, tips and tricks as well as social media updates.

how to add a pdf to your facebook fan page

As stated in my earlier post from July, you can now merge your duplicate Facebook fan pages.

Now you can merge your various fan pages on Facebook into the one place

As Facebook does, they’ve changed the process slightly, to make it a smidge easier.

I’ve updated below with the latest link and screen capture of what you’re likely to see.

If you’re still a little confused, please read this post in conjunction with my earlier one here.  That’s where I outline more fully how to merge a page where you’re an admin of a fan page.

How to Merge Your Facebook Fan pages

There are two options available if you want to merge Facebook pages.  I’ve outlined Option one in my earlier blog post here.

Option 2

You no longer need the urls of your Facebook fan pages that you want to merge together – so much simpler!  Facebook will give you a drop down list to choose from instead.

Remember also, you need to make sure that you copy any details that are on the pages you are going to merge into your primary page (posts, photos, videos, testimonials and everything from the page), as once the merge takes place, you will no longer have access to this information – Facebook will delete it.

When a fan page merge happens, you only keep your fans and check-ins.  Everything else on your old pages will be gone.

When merging fan pages, your fans will combine into the one page, but it does not necessarily mean that if you have 400 fans on each page, you will get a total of 800 fans when your pages are merged.  Some people on one page may also be fans of your other page.

The Facebook URL you need to start the merge process

The most important step to do here after you’ve copied everything from the page you’re going to give up is to send a request to Facebook.

Facebook appears to have simplied this process from earlier this year.

Go to this link to start the process:   https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=238908726149664

**IMPORTANT NOTE – Please Read**

Therefore, you must have a personal Facebook account. If you only have a business account that managed pages, this will not work. Facebook is only going to allow actual human people (not pages) to do the merge. Please take note of this. You must have a personal Facebook account and be logged into that first before you click the above link.

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ

Whilst this link (https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=238908726149664) does work for some (I just tried it on 16 February 2013 and it works for me), it does not seem to work for most. If you click the link and it does not load a page that looks like the screen shot below, you will need to contact Facebook directly. Unfortunately, there is nothing else that you’ll be able to do.

how to merge your dublicate facebook fan pages

Click to Enlarge Image

Fill out the destination page from the drop down menu.  If you can’t see your page here, you can’t merge it.  You need to choose from the list provided by Facebook.

For the pages you want to merge, Facebook tells you:

“Enter the web addresses (URLs) of up to 5 Pages you’d like to merge with your authentic Page. You can only merge Pages that you already manage.

After we verify your request, likes and check-ins will be combined on the destination Page. All other content on the Pages you’re merging will be permanently deleted.”

You can choose up to five pages at a time to merge into your primary page.  Choose the pages to merge from the drop down menu then click the Send button.

Your request can take several hours up to two days to complete.

Good luck!  Let me know how you go.

Leave your comments, frustrations and triumphs in the comments below.

Enjoyed this post?

Consider using the social sharing button below to share this post on your favourite social networking sites.

wendy-moore-net-signature

By Wendy Chamberlain
Copyright 2012 Savvy Web Women Pty Ltd

WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE?

You can as long as you include the following (links must be active):

Wendy Chamberlain is the founder of www.savvywebwomen.com and creator of the Savvy Online Engagement Blog – the information packed resource that shows business owners and entrepreneurs how to use online strategies to connect with key stakeholders, influence decision makers and be seen as a thought leader, all via the use of social media. To receive your FREE Special Report and how-to articles to expand your Online Engagement toolkit, visit www.wendymoore.net.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Anne Leyenberg September 13, 2012 at 1:30 am

Hi Wendy, the link you provided to the facebook website does not seem to work anymore. Do you know where the correct page can be found now? Thanks!

Wendy Chamberlain September 13, 2012 at 9:32 am

Hi Anne,

That link (https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=238908726149664) still works for me. I just tried it. Are you logged into Facebook first. You might have to be to get it to work. I accessed it using Firefox.

Kenya G. Johnson September 13, 2012 at 10:39 am

Great article. I’m wondering if I am stuck with my page name or if there’s a work around. I can deal with my URL but the name that appears when I comment is awkwardly long. I didn’t know what I was doing when I first set it up. Do you think if I created a new page with way I want it I could merge it or is that too much unnecessary trouble? I’m a pinch over 200 likes but I don’t want to start over.
Kenya G. Johnson recently posted..What does silence sound like?

Wendy Chamberlain September 13, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Hi Kenya,

If you’re just a touch over 200, here’s what I would do.

As you can change your name at 200 or under, I’d take a note of the fans over the 200 mark and then go in and remove them. You can do this via your admin panel.

I’d then get to below 200 and change the name. Once you’ve changed the name Facebook will automatically update all your fans. You can then go back to those that you removed from fans and explain why and ask them to like you again.

I’ve suggested this as a work around for a client and it’s what I would do.

Peter Scott September 14, 2012 at 4:07 am

Wendy, this link for the contact form (https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=238908726149664) is not working for me either. I’ve tried it several times with Chrome, Firefox and IE, I even tried to clean cache/cookies. Also, I tried logged in with my personal profile and as a page (under the “voice” funcion).

Any guesses? I’m getting desperate here!

Peter Scott September 14, 2012 at 4:09 am

This is the message I get: “The page you requested was not found. You may have clicked an expired link or mistyped the address.”

(Sorry for double posting)

Wendy Chamberlain September 14, 2012 at 9:43 am

Very interesting Peter. Let me look into it and see what the issue is. I can understand your frustration.

José Valenzuela September 18, 2012 at 8:20 am

Hi Wendy, I have the same problem as Peter. 3 weeks ago, I visited the link and everything was working well. But now, I enter and it seems that Facebook change the link. Any idea of the new link? Thank you very much 🙂

Nicola September 20, 2012 at 2:22 am

Hi Wendy,
Unfortunately I am also having the same error message as Peter and José… the link worked for me 3 weeks ago as well, when I was doing the research on how to merge. And when I tried again today to finally go through with the merge I got the same error message as Peter and José. If there’s any solution you can come up with, I’d be so thankful! Best, Nicola

Sha September 20, 2012 at 7:47 am

Hello i want to get request a page merge form , from which you can claim other unofficial pages by other into one earlier form was deleted

ilaria September 24, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Same for me…. the link does not work, I tried different browsers – any other suggestion?

Jacqueline September 25, 2012 at 3:43 am

The link doesnt work, do you have another one?

Wendy Chamberlain September 25, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hi all,
Here’s the official page on Facebook with instructions on how to claim your page.: https://www.facebook.com/help/location/claim

Wendy Chamberlain September 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm

This is the link that I have that just worked for me:

NOTE: I’m logged into Facebook when I click this link. In order for the above link to work for you, you must click the link whilst you are logged into the account that is the admin of the page that you wish to keep (IE the page you are MERGING INTO).

Therefore, you must have a personal Facebook account. If you only have a business account that managed pages, this will not work. Facebook is only going to allow actual human people (not pages) to do the merge. Please take note of this. You must have a personal Facebook account.

Philipp September 26, 2012 at 12:32 am

Hi Wendy,
I would also like to merge two facebook fanpages but the link above does not work also as a logged-in admin of the page.

Also I am missing the “resources” button when I m trying to use the above instructions.
Do I need a certain amount of fans to have this button?

What can I do? Can you help?
Philipp recently posted..Mehr vom Kunden für sich erfahren.

José Valenzuela September 26, 2012 at 2:39 am

Hi Wendy, I’m the admin of my Fan Pages (with my personal account). The link showed above doesn’t work. Any idea of what’s happening?

Wendy Chamberlain September 26, 2012 at 8:18 am

Hi Phillipp,

I assume you’re referring to the Resources button that I mention in my post here:

When you go into the Admin panel on your fan page, choose EDIT PAGE then MANAGE PERMISSIONS.

On the left hand side, the sixth menu item should be Resources.

Click into here to see if you have the option to MERGE DUPLICATE PAGES. You’ll only see this if it’s an option for you. If you can’t see it, you can’t use this method. In my experience, most of the time you won’t have this as an option.

Wendy Chamberlain September 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hi Jose,
I logged into another Facebook account (as a different user) using IE9 and the link came up for me. Initially, when I tried the link in IE9 without being logged into Facebook it gave me an error. I was able to see it however when I logged in.

I’m not sure why you can’t see it. It could just be a Facebook “feature”, unfortunately. I’ll see if I can find out what might be happening.

Dominik October 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Hi Wendy,
great tutorial!

The link doesnt work for me anymore either. It used to up until ~3 weeks ago (the time it took facebook to authenticate my pages).
I tried several browsers and being logged in / not logged in.

any ideas?
Thank you!

Wendy Chamberlain October 3, 2012 at 12:57 am

Hi Dominik,

I’m not sure. I can still see and access the page.

If anyone needs a hand with merging their Facebook fan pages, please email support @ savvywebwomen.com (remove spaces) with Merge Fan Pages in the subject line. We may be able to help you out.

Gary October 8, 2012 at 9:29 am

Hi Wendy,

we tried merging our 2 biggest fan sites as above https://www.facebook.com/garyhowardphotographer and https://www.facebook.com/garyhowardau we even had confirmation that this was done from facebook via email and to wait up to 24hrs for the fans ect to transfer over, so now its been 4 days and still nothing, both addresses are coming up as page not found and my 5000 + fans network contacts seem to be lost in cyberspace , not a good feeling, my business really relies on facebook to survive 🙁 not sure what to do from here, ive filled out 2 forms to facebook but still no reply

Wendy Chamberlain October 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

Hi Gary,

It always concerns me when a business says they rely on a third party website outside their own control for their business. I’m hoping you had a strategy in place to gather email addresses and send your fans to your own website/blog too, just in case you’ve lost access to both sites now (which I really hope is not the case). That aside, I’d contact Facebook. You have a confirmation email from them. Use that to reply to them and enquire where things are at.

Gary October 8, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Hi Wendy,
yes our strategy was to always point them to our blog/website facebook was a good in between link for this but at the end of the day in our case most had been content with contacting and communicating with us via facebook, sometimes its just easier than going through a multi teared process. Unfortunately social media in this day and age is a necessary evil for online business its really been marketed and pushed upon us, to think that you can put a lot of time, effort and money into something like this (and I mean years and $$$$) and not being able to rely to some extent on it just falls way short for me, some good customer service and direct contact info from facebook would be a good start.
Gary
Gary recently posted..Newborn Photography – Baby Peyton

Wendy Chamberlain October 11, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Hi Gary,
You’ve made valid points, but at the end of the day, it is a free service they are providing. They are a world unto themselves.

Okiza October 12, 2012 at 8:45 am

Thank you very much for this article. It would be great, if any chance for merging any page to any page,not just same or similar names :/

Wendy Chamberlain October 12, 2012 at 9:08 am

I agree Okiza, it can be frustrating trying to merge pages where there are slight variations or it would make sense to combine pages into one and Facebook does not allow it. But, they’re Facebook!

Will Hecht October 24, 2012 at 4:22 am

Hi Wendy,
I’ve done the correct steps to merge the pages I desired. It says at the end that it will send a confirmation email. Or possibly it would just merge by itself? Neways, I have done the process 3 times, waiting a day or two between each time. And I have not recieved any confirmation emails. Do you have any suggestions? .. Im a little frustrated so thank you very much!!

– Will

Wendy Chamberlain October 24, 2012 at 9:25 am

Hi Will,

The quickest I’ve seen is 7-8 days.

You’ll log in one morning and there will be a message on your screen saying that such and such page has been combined and it asks you to acknowledge the message. You’ll also receive an email.

You won’t receive any email confirmation when you first undertake the process. You just have to wait – longer than a day or two…

HauteFrugalista October 25, 2012 at 2:15 am

Hi Wendy!
thanks so much for the tutorial!
I was wondering: once you merge the pages, can you change the name or are you stuck with the name from the one you prefered? another thing are usernames: do you get to change the username once they merge or will the username from the chosen page remain as the one forever? Another thing is categories? can you change the categories once they merge? I’m having an issue with the username as my original one says that theres an error and doesnt let me have that one as the username. is there a direct link like the reques for merging, for requesting username change?
thanks again and sorry for the million questions!!
best,
Dee T

Wendy Chamberlain October 25, 2012 at 9:43 am

Hi Dee,

Regarding the change of name, as with any page, where the likes are above 200, you need to follow the steps to request Facebook to change the name for you. I shared how to do that here: http://wendymoore.net/2012/10/how-to-change-your-facebook-fan-page-name/

The userame will be the one that is attached to the destination page. With a username, you get to change it once. I shared how to do that here: http://wendymoore.net/2012/10/how-to-change-your-facebook-fan-page-username/

For categories, you can change this on your page at any time.

Good luck!

Wellington November 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Hi Wendy,
I really need your help.
We use to have to different account on facebook for our music project.
One was a normal profile and another one as fan page.
Today I converted our profile into a fan page but I didn’t get to merge it with my primary Fan Page as it is not appearing on “resources” the option to merge them.
I was trying the “second option” you post but all links are not working any more.
Could help me to resolve this?
thanks a lot
Wellington

Wendy Chamberlain November 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Hi Wellington,

That’s correct. When you convert a regular Facebook profile to a fan page, you create a brand new fan page. It won’t merge into an existing fan page. You also lose access to all the functionality for the profile, such as messaging and any admin access.

I have no idea why the link above continues to not work for people. I clicked on it again today and it is working for me.

If you require me to help with entering your pages into the above link to get them merged, I can do that, but I do charge for my time.

Get in touch if you’re interested.

Wendy Chamberlain November 10, 2012 at 9:03 am

Hi Ibnu,

The first link does not work. The second link still works for me. I have no idea why this continues to not work for some people.

Get in touch if you’re interested.

A-Jay November 16, 2012 at 4:37 am

Hi Wendy,
I am wondering if you can use option 2 to merge 2 pages that have different names but are the same content? If yes, will the new merged page take on the name of the page with the most likes or can I choose which pages name to use?

Wendy Chamberlain November 16, 2012 at 8:35 am

Hi A-Jay,

The page that is to be merged (the one that you lose) into the destination page (the one that you keep) will lose all the content, including photos, posts etc. You therefore need to make sure that you take a copy of all the content on the page that you are going to merge into the destination page.

The destination page will retain the name that it currently has. To change your page name, with less than 200 likes, you can do that via the admin panel.

Where your page has more than 200 likes, you need to follow this process I outlined in my blog post here: http://wendymoore.net/2012/10/how-to-change-your-facebook-fan-page-name/

Jesus Rivera November 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm

does this work with pages without the same name?

Wendy Chamberlain November 19, 2012 at 9:31 am

Hi Jesus,

Yes it will, if you use the duplicate page merging link, but the pages must all have you as the certified owner of the page.

If Facebook does not think you are the official owner, it will not merge them. It also helps to have categorised all the pages as a same type, for example, Company or Local Business, or Public Figure.

Chris Lathan December 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Hi,
We have three separate sites/accounts/pages for our B&B

One I set up a long time ago and forgot the Login details, another that I set up a wile ago and have just stated using and another someone set up for me but I have lost contact and can’t seem to log in although my name appears on the details.
I now have just got more likes on the page I want to keep

On the merge page of facebook only the one page (the one I want to keep appears)

Should I report the other sites from each site and request a merge that way?

Thanks

Wendy Chamberlain December 22, 2012 at 11:07 am

Hi Chris,

I’d get in touch with Facebook to see if you can claim your other pages then merge them all into the one that you wish to keep.

Here’s a list of ways to contact Facebook via Mari Smith: http://www.marismith.com/how-contact-facebook-directory-of-forms/

Manish Patil January 10, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Hi !! wendy ,
I am admin of this pages
http://www.facebook.com/mpknk (keeper page )

both pages having different names n url . I want to mege this pages, i send request many time to fb but nothing happen.
I also follow the link given by you ..
Plz give some new link due to which merging gets possible.

Wendy Chamberlain January 14, 2013 at 4:35 am

Hi Manish,
I’m still not sure why that link does not work for all people. I tried it again right now and it works for me.

If you want us to help you with it, please email support @ savvywebwomen.com (remove spaces) with Merging Pages in the subject line and we can look at options for you.

Otherwise, you’ll need to get in touch with Facebook again directly.

Thai Hoc January 23, 2013 at 12:15 am

it not work.
i have two Page similar name, and i request merge dumplicate page but Facebook nothing happen.
i think they were disabled this

Wendy Chamberlain January 23, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hi Thai,

It most certainly does work. I used this link just today to merge pages for a client.

Not sure why others can’t see it. If you wish us to help you with your merge, send an email to support @ savvywebwomen.com (remove spaces) with Fan Page Merge in the title and we will be in touch.

Jose January 24, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Hi Wendy
I confirm your link is working. I submitted a merge request 2 days ago, still waiting to complete.
All the other options that used to work (the Merge Duplicate Pages on Resources) are not an option this days.
Let you know the results, if any.
Cheers!

Wendy Chamberlain January 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Fantastic Jose. So glad the link is working for others as well. :o)

Wendy Chamberlain January 26, 2013 at 11:46 am

Here’s a link to get in touch with Facebook directly for issues with your Facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/164405897002583?rdrhc

Good luck all!

harry January 28, 2013 at 4:04 pm

hi iam harry from Indonesia
I would like to inquire about the merger request page
I’ve sent a request incorporation into facebook. already more than 3hari but not incorporated as well .. what should I do? besides using the merge request? Thank you so much .
page one : https://www.facebook.com/propertykita
page two :https://www.facebook.com/jm.ngapkrot

Wendy Chamberlain January 29, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Hi Harry,
If you’ve already sent a merge request, chances are the Facebook will reply to you and tell you whether the merge has been successful or, if not, why they have not merged the pages for you.

Your only other option is to contact Facebook directly and ask them about your merge request.

Isabella February 7, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Thanks much for the instructions! Question for you:
If I follow this process: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=238908726149664

Can I request for a fan page with less likes to be my “primary” fan page and merge a second fan page (with more likes) into it?

The second fan page (less likes) has the correct name that I want to keep.

I placed this request 4 days ago but have not received any info back from Facebook.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Bbella